Saturday, October 11, 2008

Carie Von Fange: an American assistant in Paris


This is my fifth time in Paris… I just cannot stay away! However, this time is the most special and important trip that I have made to Paris, because I will be teaching English at Claude Chappe and Henri Bergson. I have very few experiences teaching, and have never had a job outside of the United States, so this is a “big deal!” At the same time, I am earning a master’s degree at New York University in Paris, specializing in Teaching French as a Foreign Language. My goal is to eventually be a certified French teacher in the United States. However, my first few weeks have been so great in Paris, that I feel I will want to return some day and work here… we’ll see!
I come from Virginia, in the United States of America: Virginia is in the Northern most part of the southern states. I grew up in the Blue Ridge Mountains. It is a very beautiful part of the country, with a very nice park called “Shenandoah National Park.” I love it! I do miss autumn in the mountains… it is the most beautiful I have seen anywhere! So, in Paris, I like to take walks in the Park Buttes Chaumont… to remind me of the forests in Virginia.
So far, I have been thrilled with teaching at Claude Chappe. I like the job, because it is challenging, but also a lot of fun. The students are apt to ask questions and participate. They are full of positive energy! I feel like they are genuinely interested in learning English and American culture. I hope that the year continues to go well… I’m sure it will!